ISTQB Virtual Advanced Test Automation Engineer Training
The Advanced Test Automation Engineer course provides TAEs (test automation engineers) with advanced skills in defining, initiating, developing, maintaining, and extending test automation solutions. The course was co-created by Rex Black, past President of the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB), past President of the American Software Testing Qualifications Board (ASTQB) and Jamie Mitchell, who brings over 38 years of testing experience, both hardware and software. Jamie is a pioneer in the test automation field, having been creating automated testing since 1991. Both Rex and Jamie are co-authors of the International Software Testing Qualifications Board Advanced Syllabus.
This hands-on course provides automated test engineers with the ability to define and carry out the tasks required to put the strategy into action and is ideal for testers and test teams preparing for certification. In preparation for the exam, participants will learn key concepts related to test automation, factors, tool evaluation and selection, architecture, risks, metrics and procedures, and how to address those through testing processes integrated into the software lifecycle.
The objectives for the course are as follows:
- Explain the objectives, advantages, disadvantages and limitations of test automation
- Identify technical success factors of a test automation project
- Analyze a system under test to determine the appropriate automation solution
- Analyze test automation tools for a given project and report technical findings and recommendations
- Understand "design for testability" and "design for test automation" methods applicable to the SUT (system under test)
- Explain the structure of the gTAA (generic test automation architecture)
- Design the appropriate TAA for a given project (test automation architecture)
- Explain the role that layers play within a TAA
- Understand design considerations for a TAA
- Analyze factors of implementation, use, and maintenance requirements for a given TAS (test automation solution)
- Apply components of the generic TAA (gTAA) to construct a purpose-built TAA
- Explain the factors to be considered when identifying reusability of components
- Apply guidelines that support effective test tool pilot and deployment activities
- Analyze deployment risks and identify technical issues that could lead to failure of the test automation project, and plan mitigation strategies
- Understand which factors support and affect TAS maintainability
- Classify metrics that can be used to monitor the test automation strategy and effectiveness
- Implement metrics collection methods to support technical and management requirements. Explain how measurement of the test automation can be implemented.
- Analyze test logging of both TAS and SUT data
- Explain how a test execution report is constructed and published
- Apply criteria for determining the suitability of tests for automation
- Understand the factors in transitioning from manual to automation testing
- Explain the factors to consider in implementing automated regression testing
- Explain the factors to consider in implementing automation within new feature testing
- Explain the factors to consider in implementing automated confirmation testing
- Verify the correctness of an automated test environment including test tool setup
- Verify the correct behavior for a given automated test script and/or test suite
- Analyze the technical aspects of a deployed test automation solution and provide recommendations for improvement
- Analyze the automated testware, including test environment components, tools and supporting function libraries, in order to understand where consolidation and updates should be made following a given set of test environment or SUT changes
Attendees attend the virtual classroom via Zoom. Sessions start at 9:00 am Central and end at 5:00 pm Central. A recorded session is made available to attendees within 48 hours. Purchase of course tuition includes:
- Instructor-led three-day course
- A set of approximately 300 PowerPoint slides covering the topics to be addressed
- A downloadable copy of the complete note set. Download the materials to a PC or mobile device. There is no expiration date on access to this valuable resource as they will be downloadable. Digital rights management and intellectual property rights are protected by some limitations such as the inability to share the file with others. Further, while the materials can be printed, each page includes a prominent watermark, with the exception of the pages in the ISTQB Syllabus and Glossary.
- Foundation Sample Exam Questions and Foundation Level mock exam to provide a review of the Foundation Level exam
- ISTQB Advanced Level Syllabus Test Automation Engineer
- The latest glossary of terms used in Software Testing produced by members of the ISTQB
- Advanced Test Automation Engineer Sample Exam Questions embedded throughout course. A complete set of questions for every learning objective in the Test Automation Engineer ISTQB Advanced Level Syllabus.
- Advanced Test Automation Engineer Mock Exam
- Project Source Documents for Course Exercises
- Add-on option of printed copies of printed course materials
- An electronic exam voucher valid for one year is priced separately and is available as an optional purchase using the pulldown menu on this page. All individuals sitting for the Advanced Level exams must have successfully completed the Foundation Level Certification and sufficient practical experience. Proof of eligibility is available from the American Software Testing Qualifications Board and is required to take an Advanced exam
- Course completion certificate (often used for employer reimbursement)
Remote-proctored exams – In response to Covid-19 and the necessity to social distance, the ISTQB Certified Tester exams can be taken online at home via a remote-proctor.
The exam is not administered during the course. An electronic exam voucher is priced separately and is available as an optional purchase using the pulldown menu on this page. Once the exam voucher has been issued, it is not refundable.
All individuals sitting for the Advanced Level exams must have successfully completed the Foundation Level Certification and sufficient practical experience.
This course was accredited by the ASTQB September 2018.This course follows the ISTQB Advanced Level Syllabus Test Automation Engineer 2016.
Blended e-learning (when available), licenses and volume discounts are also available for companies.